Using the titles from the Resources tab on our website, consider one of these (or another – please feel free to design your own!) project ideas:
- Chose a title (movie, book, short story, poem or group thereof, etc.), write a five-to-seven-page paper with a Summary, Thematic Analysis, Critical Reception, Accuracy.
- Make a short documentary film about Budapest in US movies and/or literature.
- Interview an author, blogger, filmmaker, poet, etc. about their work in Budapest.
- Considering a range of several different works (film, novels, etc.), and discuss how weather, Hungarian Language, Food, Clothing, and Symbols are used as thematic devices across the disciplines. What do these evoke? How do the same metaphoric concepts exist (or differ) across genres?
- Choose a single image commonly used to represent Budapest (Hungarian Language, Chain Bridge, the Danube etc.). How does this image appear in different genres? What is the thematic emotion that is linked to it?
- View a series of US travel documentaries that concern Budapest. What are the common emphases? How do they differ? How is the city “packaged” for the audience? What are the motivations of the filmmakers and how does this influence their work?
What ideas interest you? Would you prefer working individually or in a group? If not one of these, what type of project would you like to pursue? Which title or titles, genre or discipline would be like to study?